ZAMBIA BUREAU OF STANDARDS
ZABS FACT FILE
- The Zambia Bureau of Standards is the National Standards Body enacted by an Act of Parliament Cap 416 of the Laws of Zambia whose core mandate is to formulate National Standards, conduct Quality Assurance and Calibration of measuring instruments (Metrology) activities.
- Standards are documents developed by consensus with interested parties that describe good practices in the country.
- Some standards are compulsory and some are voluntary. Voluntary standards cannot be enforced by regulation while non compliance to compulsory standards is a crime under the laws of Zambia.
- Zambia Bureau of Standards is not in charge of enforcing all standards. Different sector specific regulators such as ZICTA for ICT's, ERB for energy, RTSA for road transport, ZEMA for chemicals, Lusaka City Council for Public Health matters are also involved.
- Zambia Bureau of Standards operates a certification scheme whereby products meeting standards are given a quality mark which signals to the consumer that the product is of good quality. This is within the Domestic Quality Monitoring scheme mandate… Manufacturers get your products certified! Consumers, look out for the mark!
- Zambia Bureau of Standards implements compulsory standards through Import and Export inspections. This is within the Import Quality Monitoring Scheme mandate.
- Zambia Bureau of Standards’ library is a selling Agent for International Standards (ISO and IEC), Regional Standards, and Foreign Standards. It is also the WTO/TBT enquiry point. The library is open to all and the general public is encouraged to subscribe as members.
Zambia Bureau of Standards Metrology Laboratory houses the National Measurement standards and provides calibration services that are traceable to the International Measurement standards. Calibration services include the following areas:
ZABS has modern Testing Laboratories for testing and analysis of products to national and international standards as well as client specifications. Products tested include the following:-
- Water (for chemical and microbiological tests)
- Meat and milk products
- Beverages (for chemical and microbiological tests)
- Soaps and detergents
- Mining and exploration samples for metal content
- Environmental samples e.g soil, water, (for DDT and other persistent organic pollutants)
- Aldrin, dieldrin, chlordane, and other poisonous substances in drinking water
- Crop samples for pesticide residues
- Petroleum products (lubricants, transformer oil, Kerosene, diesel, petrol, biodiesel, etc)
- Condoms and surgical gloves
- Textile and Packaging materials
- Zambia Bureau of Standards is a Certification Body and has competence and expertise to certify organizations to QMS ISO9001:2008.
- Zambia Bureau of Standards provides Consultancy and Training in the areas of Standardization, Quality Management Systems & Measurement Technology