Zambia Bureau of Standards (ZABS) is the sole service provider for Standards Certification to the industry in Zambia.
Certification refers to confirmation or an attestation that products, processes, or systems of an organization meet the requirements of a standard or specification. ZABS provides assurance that products, services, and processes meet national or international standards/specifications. This is done through a review, assessment, or audit. ZABS offers two types of certification schemes namely Product Certification and Systems Certification.
Under Product certification we ensure that a product that has passed a performance and quality assurance tests and meets the requirements of the set standard is issued wit a quality mark. Product certification is one of the quality assurances services that the Zambia Bureau of Standards (ZABS) provides to Industry. Through product certification, ZABS as a third party, attests that a product has met the requirements of a standard and is safe and fit for purpose.
ZABS Certified Products
ZABS has certified over 150 different products ranging from food and beverages to construction materials and Petroleum products. ZABS certifies a wide range of products including.
- Food and Beverages- Peanut Butter, Cooking Oil, Drinks &Bottled Water,
- Soaps and Detergents – Laundry Soaps, Washing powders, Hand Sanitizers & Cleaning Chemicals
- Construction Materials – Deformed Bars, Cement, Concrete Products & Electrical Cables
- Textile & Paints – Packaging Materials, Footwear, Paints, Varnishes and Inks
- Petroleum Products – Lubricants and fuels
- Agriculture Products – Animal feeds and many more!
How does one identify that a particular product is certified by ZABS?
There are different marks that can be found on a product however, the ZABS product certification scheme has its unique and distinctive certification mark that is placed on all products that are certified by the Bureau. This quality mark (as depicted below) describes the standard number on which the product has been certified.
What does the process involve for a company to have its product certified?
The process is simple!
- Contact the ZABS training and certification section on the contact details provided. You will then be handed with a product enquiry form on which you will be required to fill in the details of the company and the product/s.
- Upon submission of the enquiry form a quotation will be issued describing the fees to be paid.
- Once the applicable fees are paid, factory inspections and product testing will be conducted, and a report generated for decision making.
A Management System is a company’s structure for managing its processes and activities that transform inputs of resources into a product or service which meets the company’s objectives while satisfying the customers’ quality requirements, complying with regulations meeting environmental and public health objectives
ZABS offers training and certification in the following management systems;
- Quality Management System (ISO 9001)
- Environmental Management System (EMS 14001)
- Occupational Health and Safety Management System (OHSAS 18001)
- Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points System (HACCP)
- Food Safety Management System (ISO 22000:2005)
- Information Management System (ISO 27001)
- Business Continuity Management System (ISO 22301)
ISO 9001 is a series of Standards by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) on Quality Management Systems (QMS). It applies to the processes that create and control the products and services an organization supplies. The standards prescribes systematic control of activities to ensure that the needs and expectations of customers are met and is designed and intended to apply to virtually any product or service, made by any process anywhere in the world
Facts about ISO 9001
- ISO 9001 has been implemented by over 178 countries across the globe.
- Over 1, 200, 000 certificates have been issued to companies all over the world
- The focus on continued improvement with emphasis placed on customer satisfaction will always lead to improvements in business performance. With goals in mind, the company can soar to new heights
Are there any benefits in Management Systems?
Absolutely yes and they include;
- Providing independent assessment of the organization’s quality management systems and capacity
- Helps improve efficiency of operations and delivery of service, reduce manufacturing costs and helps to avoid
- Avoids time consuming multiple re-evaluation by purchasers
- Results in greater consistency and traceability of products
- Increases customer satisfaction and improves customer loyalty.
- Facilitates credible marketing on both domestic and international markets.
Management Systems Certification Mark
This is a certification scheme for the local smaller and specialised producers, that provides support
through guidance, mentorship and training services.
Why this scheme?
This scheme is designed to assist local suppliers implement and comply with quality and food
safety management systems as required by their customers in the high value domestic
The system will ensure that there is continuous improvement of processes, product quality,
product packaging, management commitment and employee training.
The certified local suppliers scheme will give confidence to large buyers and consumers on the safety and hygiene of local suppliers
The scheme will provide local suppliers with an opportunity to have their products tested and
certified at an affordable cost, in order for them to remain competitive.
What services does the CLSS provide?
The scheme provides mentoring, food safety training, testing, product evaluation, packaging/labelling
training and adherence to local legislation etc.
What are the benefits of the scheme?
1. Affordable and achievable
2. Provision of technical support for the business
3. Opportunity for growth and market expansion
Who is eligible for the scheme?
- All Micro Small and Medium Enterprises in the food value chain
- Designed for small and micro producers
- Must operate from a commercial kitchen or dedicated production unit
- Any food or beverage company that wishes to have the certification
- Suppliers whose products are made or packed in the Zambia